[Dovecot] directly addressable public folders issues

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Mar 4 13:13:18 EET 2012

On 3.3.2012, at 22.08, Tom Fernandes wrote:

> I would like to have an address info at example.com whose mails are stored in a
> public folder.
..
> From what I understand it's a good idea to have a separate location for home and
> for mail_location.
>
> For my normal accounts I have:
> home = /var/vmail/<user>
> mail_location = ~/Maildir

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

to unnecessary avoid autodetection.

> Is there a way to have the same for public folders? This are my current
> settings:
>
> namespace public {
>  separator = /
>  prefix = public/
>  location = maildir:/var/vmail/public
>  subscriptions = no
> }

That's ok.

> user_attrs = homeDirectory=home=/var/vmail/%$, =mail=maildir:~/Maildir

The "mail" isn't necessary here, since it's already globally set.

> The LDAP-homeDirectory-attribute for info at example.com is "public/.info"

That's not going to work too well.

> Like this an incoming mail is stored below /var/vmail/public/.info/Maildir which
> is good. The MUA seems to read to read from /var/vmail/public/.info though.
>
> How can I make the MUA read from /var/vmail/public/.info/Maildir instead?

You can't.

The way I did it was to make info@, sales@ and others aliases to "company" user, which is a rather regular user (except can't actually log in). For this "company" user I've a Sieve script that puts the mails into the proper mailbox, e.g. fileinto "public/info".