[Dovecot] Failing: doveadm sync <--remote host--> dsync mirror

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Sun Mar 4 13:31:45 EET 2012

Hi --

On 04.03.2012, at 12:05, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 3.3.2012, at 20.03, Michael Grimm wrote:

>> 	vmail> dsync -v -f -u test mirror ssh vmail at remote-host.tld dsync -v -f -u test
>> 	dsync-local(test): Error: remote: dsync: illegal option -- f
>> 	doveadm dsync-server [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>]
>> 	dsync-local(test): Error: read() from worker server failed: EOF
>>
>> If I do omit the remote '-f' the old syntax is being accepted. Thanks for fixing that.
>
> Right, the remote -f parameter doesn't do anything. But it's anyway now allowed:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.1/rev/9c6eeeb810c0

Ok, that means it has always been ignored in 2.0.x ;-)

>>> doveadm sync -f -u test test at remote-host.tld
>>
>> 	vmail> doveadm sync -f -u test ssh vmail at remote-host.tld
>> 	dsync-local(test): Error: remote: dsync-server: Command not found.
>> 	dsync-local(test): Error: read() from worker server failed: EOF
>
> Remove the "ssh" parameter from the middle and change vmail@ to test@

That doesn't work in my ssh setup, because I'm using a different ssh port and thus have to run:

	ssh -p 1234 vmail at remote-host.tld

Sorry, I should have mentioned that before.

In your other mail about 'dsync replication' you refer to a config option:
#dsync_remote_cmd = ssh -l%{login} %{host} doveadm dsync-server -u%u -l%{lock_timeout} -n%{namespace}

Would that allow for ssh options to be set?

>> Users are virtual ones at both mail servers, and vmail is the only system user to run ssh.
>> Thus I can't test user suggestion. But it's ok to add a 'doveadm dsync-server -u test'.
>
> In this syntax the test@ means Dovecot user, not system user. Although I'm not sure if that's
> a good idea. In the latest hg version the preferred way is:
>
> doveadm sync -f -u test remote:vmail at host

See above regarding ssh options.

>> Now, I will stick to 2.1.x because syncing is done without loss of mails (after 10 days of testing).
>> The only inconvenience remaining is reappearing of deleted and "undeletable" mail. But it seems that
>> I'm the only one reporting that. How could I help to debug this issue?
>
> Is anything else besides Dovecot modifying the mailboxes? Especially deleting mails? No cronjobs or
> other scripts that "rm" mails?

No. Only dovecot is allowed to deliver mail (lmtp). Sieve's 'copy:' and 'fileinto' are used as well.
But no scripts or such are used to remove mail. I'm running mdbox only.

Thanks and regards,
Michael