[Dovecot] dsync replication available for testing

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Mon Mar 5 10:35:25 EET 2012

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 01:38:14PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > Great news. I would love to test it, if I will be able to run this on a test
> > account, only. All other users should become synced the "old way" for the time
> > being.
> >
> > Would that be possible with the current implementation?
>
> 1) Replicator syncs all users at startup. If you can change your userdb iteration to return only one test user for replicator that avoids it. (You may be able to do protocol replicator { userdb {..} } and protocol !replicator { .. })

IMHO it would be great if it didn't sync all users. We probably av have
hundreds of thousands of inactive users that we would like to sync at a
later point. Also when we provision users that's just an entry in a
LDAP-directory without any files or directories. So dovecot shouldn't
create any directories for these before they've received mail or logged in.

So, ideally (for us), dovecot should keep a log over which accounts are
active (has received or checked mail), and only sync users that has been
active for the last $timeperiode on startup.

  -jf