[Dovecot] OT: Distrowars - WAS: Re: seeking advice: dovecot versions; mailbox formats.

Thu Mar 8 18:04:14 EET 2012

On 2012-03-08 8:53 AM, Vincent Schut <schut at sarvision.nl> wrote:
> But maybe you also have something useful to say on the questions I *did*
> ask? About dovecot versions, and/or maildir vs. dbox for example? As the
> subject said, I was seeking advice, not rant nor war...

Yeah, sorry, and I wasn't offended, I just dislike it when someone says
something like that without clarification...

As for version, it is generally recommended for obvious reasons to stay
within the confines of your distros package manager unless you are
comfortable installing from source. I've never used Debian, so can't
speak to which repos you can safely use or the implications if you do...

As for what mailbox format, there is no more 'dbox', it is either sdbox
(like mbox one file per folder) or mdbox (multiple files per folder) -
that said, mdbox seems to be the best general purpose, but my
understanding is it can complicate things if something goes wrong, but
it seems to be very solid.

--

Best regards,

Charles