[Dovecot] migrating/converting from system users -> virtual users

Steve Platt steve.platt at mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 8 20:46:50 EET 2012

Thank you for your help, Timo.

> use Dovecot v2.0's dsync

I gather from your reply that it's OK to use Dovecot 2.0 utilities (eg dsync)
on a dovecot (v1) installation; presumably with its own configuration file(s).

> You could set mail_drop_priv_before_exec=yes ... chgrp vmail ...

Yes, I think we could do that; I should have thought of it myself, thanks
again.

I think there was one other problem with the automatic conversion which I've
now remembered: I note that the first time a user connects to th eimap service
dovecot creates their (virtual) home directory for them with all the right
permissions. That's great and I use the existence of that directory as an
indication to our MTA that the user wants delivery into the dovecot store
rather than their old system mailbox.  However once I tried using the convert
plugin the process fails because (it seems) the conversion tries to take place
before the home directory has been created.

Is there any configuration change that might change this order?

Can I configure the convert plugin on LDA delivery, for example, instead of as
part of the "protocol imap" section?

Many thanks,
Steve Platt