[Dovecot] Another hint from the clue box 8-) imapc/imap proxy user mailbox server location

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 13 10:06:23 EET 2012

On 12.3.2012, at 20.57, Terry Carmen wrote:

>> If you can use userdb passwd-file and export the data to that file, it'll work. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile
>>
>> Example line:
>>
>> user1::1000:1000::/home/user::userdb_imapc_host=exch1.example.com
>>
>> Note that you can't then return any userdb fields from passdb ldap lookup.
>
> That doesn't seem to work because I can't create the passdb file containing the user's password, since they're only known to the remote IMAP server that I want imapproxy to connect to.

Well, you could allow users to log in with any password and then let it just fail later at imapc login, but that's a bit ugly.

You could also use passdb imap {} + userdb passwd-file {} with some extra work. The authentication would be done against the remote imap server, while the userdb_imapc_host would be looked up from the passwd-file.

> What would be perfect is if I could do something like this:

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/ImapProxy#IMAP_and_POP3_session_proxying
> Proxy only server
..

This describes a regular dummy proxying setup. Sure you could still do that, but it's not imapc proxying. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy