[Dovecot] Thunderbird Archive to slower storage - sort of alternate storage

Marcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Wed Mar 14 17:00:49 EET 2012

Em 14-03-2012 09:19, Timo Sirainen escreveu:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 08:51 -0300, Marcio Merlone wrote:
>> Should this command be run every time a new folder (.Archives.2012 for
>> example) is created or can this be automated, something like instructing
>> deliver to do this to any Archives* is created? In other words, to cron
>> or not to cron?
> It's not deliver that creates it, it's the IMAP client. And it would
I first though about deliver since this seems the guy who could do that,
but don't matter.

> have to be done when IMAP client copies mails there. But there's
> currently no easy way to automate that, so you'd need to do it in cron.
Just imagine that:

protocol imap{
     x_alternate_storage_always = Archives, Spam, Trash
     x_alternate_storage_size = 20MB
     x_alternate_storage_age = 1y
}

The client (Thunderbird?) sends imap commands to dovecot create such
folder or to move a message to such folder. Dovecot obeys and check the
config to see if the folder in question is one of those listed on
x_alternate_storage_always. If the folder is not on alternate storage
yet, create/move it there and them proceed what was asked to do.

I imagine that an age based action would depend of a cron job in order
to not overload the server each time it performs any imap command and
check old messages age...

> Another possibility could be to add a new feature (plugin) that always
> immediately saves mails in Archives* mailboxes to alt storage.
I don't know if the duck is male, I want the egg! :)

I know nothing about the inner workings of dovecot, and very little
about the outer working. A well designed and integrated plugin could be,
but seems to be a nice core feature for dovecot, based on folder name,
size or age.

Many thanks for your time. Please be kind considering those ideas, I am
just a poor man's server admin. :)

Best regards.

--
*Marcio Merlone*