[Dovecot] .mailboxlist -> .subscriptions

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Mar 14 17:48:43 EET 2012

On 3/14/2012 10:46 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:

> One last question, please.
>
> Over the years, some imap accounts had their folders directly in their
> home directory and the contents of the .mailboxlist file would have an
> entry with just the name of the folder in it (Trash, eg), and most had
> the folders in their ~/mail folder with an entry like "mail/Trash".
> Our webmail app, Horde/Imp, always seemed to take care of this. If I
> create the .subscription file for the users during the move to the new
> server, should I move the folders to the mail directory and amend
> their .subscriptions file to reflect that change on these odd ball
> accounts, and will that affect how their client is seeing these?
>
> The first server conversion was a bear due to my lack of dovecot
> knowledge. I've since learned a little more, and mostly found out that
> dovecot is a more complex application than the old imap application.
> There's so much more that can be done with dovecot, whereas the old
> imap server was mostly just load-and-go. Seems like no matter how much
> I read, the more I discovered I didn't know.
>
> Anyway, thanks for all the past help and any opinions anyone might
> decide to offer on this post.
>
> steve campbell
I've discovered another situation. This may not be a problem, but I've
got to deal with it at any rate.

I find that some users have a .mailboxlist which points to folders in
their home directory, and have folders in their mail directory as well.
For the most part, this situation involved horde/imp "sent-mail" folders
which are created when users send mail through our webmail but they more
than likely have a client on either their phone or desktop that is
configured as imap. The horde/imp "sent-mail" is not listed in their
.mailboxlist file. So I'm guessing this will be all right to leave as is
or to modify the resultant .subscription file to point to moved folders.

So many things to consider for so many different situations.

Thanks

steve