[Dovecot] Just in time AV scanning

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 15 12:33:44 EET 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 16:51 -0700, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone has any plugins for AV integration directly into
> dovecot.
>
> Our old pop servers have been scanning messges as they're moved from
> new->cur in the inbox and,  at least where user's aren't poping every
> few seconds, there is occasionally enough time between scanning through
> the MXs to message retreval to snag a few more virues with updated
> definitions before they reach customers.
>
> Anyone doing anything similar?

http://dovecot.org/patches/2.1/mail-filter.tar.gz allows you to run a
script that modifies a mail while it's being read. You could make it run
a virus check, and if that happens you could change the virus MIME part
to be full of spaces (better not to change message size, line count or
MIME structure).