[Dovecot] Creating an IMAP repo for ~100 users need some advice

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Mar 18 20:07:34 EET 2012

On 18.3.2012, at 17.36, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2012-03-18 11:15 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Only time when the entire mbox file is rewritten is when you
>> expunge the first message.
>
> Hmmm... wonder if there would be a way to add some kind of 'dummy' first message that dovecot would simply ignore (not show to the user), that would prevent that bevaior?

Dovecot has such a dummy first message exactly like UW-IMAP. But what I meant is that if you expunge the first message and you want to free the space used by it, there's no other choice than to rewrite all of the messages after it. (And of course the first message isn't special in any way, there's just about as much of rewriting if you delete the 2nd or 3rd or other messages from the beginning of the mbox.)