[Dovecot] Dsync Dovecot

Michescu Andrei andrei.michescu at miau.ca
Tue Mar 20 07:19:47 EET 2012

Hello Jitendra,

I'm trying to do the same thing but I hit a wall as the sync seems to be
doubling some emails in my case. My issues is still open with Timo (I
HOPE!)

As you seem to be stuck in an earlier stage here are my advices:

1) add the id_rsa to the .ssh folder to the user that runs the sync
to test that this step is ok you should be able to

$ ssh mailuser at example.com

without being asked for a certificate / password (if you wonder how to
achieve this here is a sample tutorial
http://jaybyjayfresh.com/2009/02/04/logging-in-without-a-password-certificates-ssh/)

2) username is the user that has the email (if you work in a virtual
environment generally is user at domain).

3) the syntax that I found to be working for me is the following:

doveadm -Dv sync -u user1 at dom1 -f ssh mx1.a doveadm dsync-server -u
user1 at dom1

To explain a little bit clearer the setup:

- you start with 2 server mx1.a and mx2.a. On both servers you have
vpopmail as the virtual user management for the virtual domain dom1

- from mx1.a you can ssh vpopmail at mx2.a directly without being prompted
for a certificate or password)

- user1 at dom1 is a virtual user defined both on mx1.a and on mx2.a (which
means that you can deliver emails to this user both at mx1.a and mx2.a and
you can also read them through imap on both servers).

Hope this makes it a little bit more clear.

Have fun,
Andrei