[Dovecot] Dovecot with postfix setup

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Tue Mar 20 15:12:31 EET 2012

On 20/3/2012 9:06 πμ, evolution age wrote:

> Could you suggest me any ebook or documentation for the setup of dovecot
> with postfix on centos 5.7 . I need it.

You have not provided any info on your requirements, so it's hard to
provide assistance.

If you are only now starting the design (you should devote at least some
time to it - design is the cornerstone) and you want LDAP, you may want
to check projects like: GOsa (https://oss.gonicus.de/labs/gosa/)

Or use a packaged solution, if it's OK with your requirements:
http://www.iredmail.org/ (I prefer to install/control packages personally.)

If you go manually, it shouldn't be difficult to find one of the many
guides on the web.

First, you need to find packages supporting the features you need
(because the CentOS standard packages are very old).

Of course you can start with CentOS standard Postfix package (supports
ldap, pcre, SASL, TLS), but make sure you upgrade soon esp. if it's a
production system!

For Postfix, check that the package offers support for whatever you want
(e.g. LDAP, mysql, SASL auth, TLS, pcre etc.). Otherwise, you may need
to build your own RPM. You may want to read:

Dovecot RPMs from here: http://packages.atrpms.net/dist/el5/dovecot/ are
fine (I think they support anything you would possibly want).

Then, find a guide like:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_postfix_virtual_hosting or
http://wanderingbarque.com/howtos/mailserver/mailserver.html depending
on the type of setup you want (e.g. multiple domains, local vs virtual
users, etc.)

Good luck!
Nick