[Dovecot] sysconfdir depreacted

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 23 11:51:43 EET 2012

On 22.3.2012, at 10.30, Noel Butler wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 07:28 +0100, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
>
>> :2012-03-22T11:55:Noel Butler:
>>
>>> perhaps it should be renamed then, given it violates the known normal
>>> for SYSCONF dir, you've just created another form of --datadir
>>
>> Not really. The way I see it works as expected. The sysconf dir is the
>

> Then you and I and a few other devs involved in other very well known
> bits of software that everyone likely uses, will have to agree to
> disagree

A ton of software installs into /etc/<package name>/ directory. Most Linux distributions installed Dovecot v1.x that way as well. And of course everyone expects configuration to be under /etc. The default of sysconfdir is PREFIX/etc/. Dovecot v2.0 really shouldn't install its stuff into PREFIX/etc/ but into PREFIX/etc/dovecot/. So the only way I can think of how to change this is to add another option to optionally remove the dovecot/ suffix from the directory, but is this really worth the trouble?