[Dovecot] sysconfdir depreacted

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Mar 24 03:19:50 EET 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 12:53 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 23.3.2012, at 12.44, Heiko Schlichting wrote:
>
> > Timo wrote:
> >> So the only way I can think of how to change this is to add another
> >> option to optionally remove the dovecot/ suffix from the directory, but
> >> is this really worth the trouble?
> >
> > I would appreciate such option too. For large dedicated installations other
> > schemes than /etc/dovecot are common.
> >
> > See http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2009-January/036131.html
>
> Yes, I was also thinking about that, but it's about removing the dovecot/ suffix from other directories as well. That might be something worth doing (--without-package-suffix or something?).

it is very easy to have a search path for config file,  it shouldn't
take much effort at all to change that to look for the long time default
of /etc/dovecot.conf  first, then if not there, look in /etc/dovecot/

No-one is suggesting putting all the individual conf files in /etc, only
for existence of dovecot.conf itself.

There are plenty of linux and unix systems that have been using /etc for
as long as I can recall (even early redhat did), its only certain
distros that build as /etc/foo/  the ones that use rpms or debs are
obviously not running anything special (we all know no build config
process will suite all operations) there are a large number i'm sure who
use source  (besides, with debian and redhat, who knows WHAT butchering
they've done to upstreams code)...

Which brings up another question,  may I ask why some of the options to
disable some passwd types were removed from build process? Systems that
dont use system password files (amongst other formats) dont need to
build them, that's not a criticism, 'just sayin'.