[Dovecot] Need fast Maildir to mdbox conversion

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Wed Mar 28 10:24:07 EEST 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Jeff Gustafson <ncjeffgus at zimage.com> wrote:
>        I looked around the 'Net to see if there might be a custom program for
> offline Maildir to mdbox conversion. So far I haven't turned up
> anything. The problem for us is that the dsync program simply takes a
> lot of time to convert mailboxes. I wonder if time could be saved with a
> program that is optimized to convert mailboxes without the fancy locking
> that dsync needs to do. Does have (or seen) a tool that could do this?

Why is it a problem that dsync takes a long time, when it can be done
without downtime for the users?

I just started our maildir->mdbox convertion yesterday, using the
attached script. I only converted a little over 10000 easy accounts
(accounts with simple folder names, as I expect to run into problems
once we start hitting accounts with trailing dot or broken latin1/utf8
characters in  the folder names). I might agree it wasn't quick, but
that really doesn't matter as the only downtime for the user is that
he's potentially kicked out during the userdb update.

  -jf