[Dovecot] dbox vs. mdbox

Miguel Afonso mafonso at hangas.net
Thu Mar 29 14:16:35 EEST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> The main problem is that it's difficult to do any "real world" tests with
> IMAP, especially when users are using many different kinds of IMAP clients.
> So I'm very interested in hearing some numbers (and disk IO graphs for a
> few weeks would be great) before your migration and after your migration,
> but the numbers for your tests might not mean all that much.

I was considering using the imaptest tool to simulate IMAP activity. I
would keep the same machine configuration, only varying the mailbox format
while running imaptest against each setup for a few hours/days.

I'm now converting the original Maildir format to both dbox formats and
I'll give it a try. I'll share some graphs afterwards.