[Dovecot] Multiple instances

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 30 17:30:12 EEST 2012

On 30.3.2012, at 16.03, Andy Dills wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> # doveadm instance remove proxy
>
> Hmm...maybe I'm doing something wrong or expecting the wrong behavior, but
> when I do this, while it dissapears from doveadm, it still responds to
> pop/imap requests, and the process continues to run.
>
> Is remove supposed to be different than say, "stop"?

Yes, the "remove" is meant to simply remove already stopped instances, e.g. some test instances. You can stop instances with "doveadm -i proxy stop". Dunno if there should be another "doveadm instance stop proxy" alias for that?..

>> It would be possible to add commands to start/shutdown some/all
>> instances using doveadm, but is it all that useful? I'd guess people
>> would have their own init.d scripts anyway doing that.
>
> Eh, in a FreeBSD port-build environment, I have to hack something in place
> in the rc script that gets installed, and then make sure to duplicate it
> every time I upgrade dovecot...not ideal.
>
> So, if dovecot had some sort of mechanism in the main config file to alert
> it of the additional instances to start and their config files, that would
> be nice.
>
> Or, if you were to add a "instance_enable" switch in the config files and
> then have dovecot scan the /usr/local/etc/dovecot directory for
> appropriate config files to automatically parse.

Hmm. Perhaps a "doveadm instance auto <name> yes|no" command to set which instances are started up automatically when Dovecot starts up.