[Dovecot] Proxying Authentication on both sides

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Fri Mar 30 17:51:00 EEST 2012

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 30.3.2012, at 16.25, Andy Dills wrote:
>
> > However, when we have the front-end server do a static director proxy, the
> > problem is that authentication failures are logged on the back-end server
> > with a source IP of the proxy, and no authentication failure with the
> > client IP address is logged on the proxy. So, fail2ban (which is a MUST
> > these days, at least for us) will not be able to properly filter out the
> > brute force attackers.
>
> This is a simple fix (and something you should do anyway): Add the
> proxy's IP/netmask to login_trusted_networks setting in the remote
> server. For this to work with POP3 you need v2.1.2+.

Well, the problem isn't that my proxies would be banned; the problem is I
have no way of seeing the remote IP of the failed authentication so I can
ban the people who should be banned.

> > My solution was an alternative: I authenticate with our /bin/checkpassword
> > on the proxy, which authenticates the user and only at that point returns
> > the proxy=y nopassword=y switch to proxy the connection and forward the
> > authentication.
>
> Hm. Doesn't it do that even without nopassword=y?

Perhaps...I was going by the docs which seemed to suggest that
nopassword=y was how you get the proxy to forward the users authentication
credentials to the back-end server.

I had been trying a lot of different things, and it was only when I
realized I needed to not do a static passdb on the proxy, but instead do a
full authentication so that the auth failure would be logged on the proxy
for fail2ban, that things began to work the way I needed.

It seems obvious in retrospect, but for whatever reason the way the docs
were written made me feel like having the full authentication happen on
both the proxy and the backend wasn't possible.

Thanks,
Andy

---
Andy Dills