[Dovecot] problems with SSH-based clustering dovecot 2.1.1

Michescu Andrei andrei.michescu at miau.ca
Tue Mar 13 07:41:53 EET 2012

Hello,

I'm using dovecot 2.1.1 with vpopmail 5.4.30 with multiples domains and I
have problems setting up synchronization in between multiple computers.

All act like master (my clients can connect to any of the them and read
their emails either via POP3 either via IMAP, inbound email gets on any of
the machines). Each machine is on a different continent, there is no
shared drive in between and the synchronization is supposed to be
asynchronous via cron scripts.

To simplify the case, let's consider 2 machines (mx1.a and mx2.a) with 3
virtual domains (a and b and c). On both machine domain a is the default
domain (needs only username to connect to imap).

Initially I synchronize mx1.a with mx2.a using rsync. I check that I can
login using dovecot.

I tried any of the following commands to synchronize the 2 machines:

mx1.a$ doveadm -Dv sync -u user1 at a -f ssh mx2.a doveadm dsync-server -u
user1 at a

mx1.a$ doveadm -Dv sync -u user1 at a ssh mx2.a doveadm -u user1 at a

mx1.a$ doveadm -Dv sync -u user1 at a user1 at a

The only thing that happens is that the on each machine the folders get
doubled with some random extension (eg. Inbox becomes
Inbox_3e3ff3g3gb3bb3b22).

Also, another bug, if there is a domain setup as default
(auth_default_realm) dsync simply ignores the specified -u <user> and
attempts to sync the first email in the default domain.

Please advise.

# 2.1.1: /etc/dovecot/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.38-b i686 Slackware 13.0.0.0.0
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_default_realm = a
first_valid_gid = 89
first_valid_uid = 89
last_valid_gid = 89
last_valid_uid = 89
listen = *
log_path = /dev/stderr
login_greeting = A
login_trusted_networks = 192.168.20.64/26
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = vchkpw
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = vchkpw