[Dovecot] invalid mailbox name

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Tue Mar 13 10:46:04 EET 2012

Hi,

while migrating all mail from our old to our new server (using
offlineimap, imap -> imap), I get the following error for one of my
user's mailboxes:

ERROR: Folder 'Organisations.RS Env & IJRS'[local_hoekman] could not be
created. Server responded: ('NO', ['Invalid mailbox name:
Organisations.RS Env & IJRS'])

I suppose this is because of the ampersand in the mailbox name? Because
other folder with spaces in it go just fine...

Is this a fixed thing? Why was my user able to create the folder once?
And why is dovecot 1.2.15 refusing to create the folder now?

Migration is from dovecot 1.1.11 to 1.2.15.

Thanks,
Vincent.