[Dovecot] imaptest: performance testing

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Fri Mar 16 12:08:36 EET 2012

Dear Folks,

Using head of imaptest with dovecot 2.1, I am attempting to put a
heavy load on the server, with insufficient success.

I made 15000 user accounts, put them in to a file, one per line.  Then
I ran imaptest with

./imaptest userfile=../../imap-test-userlist-15001.txt clients=15001
pass=SECRETPASSWORD

But CPU load is only reaching 20.

I put an mbox containing 67 messages into ~/mail/dovecot-crlf

So what is the best way to put a really heavy load on an imap server?
The documentation describes testing correctness of the server without
really emphasising performance.

I would like to do something like dnsperf, which adds a linearly
increasing load until the server is unable to cope.

This machine has 24G RAM and 8 cores.  I'll be grateful for any
constructive suggestions.
Nick Urbanik             http://nicku.org           nicku at nicku.org