[Dovecot] auth tcp socket, Authentication client gave a PID 7542 of existing connection

Alex Ha alex.handle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:00:05 EET 2012

Hi Dovecot-list!

My setup consists of a dovecot server with lmtp delivery and 3 postfix
mta servers in front.
Previously the mtas authenticated (SASL) through the
courier-authdaemond software to our mysql database.
To get support for more password formats i migrated to dovecot for
SASL authentification.

Our postfix mtas connect to dovecot through a tcp-socket

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = inet:10.11.100.230:12345
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

10.11.100.230 is our dovecot server.

Please look at the attached doveconf.log to see my auth service configuration.
I did the configuration according to the postfix SASL README.

http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_dovecot

I tested the setup and everything worked fine but after 2 days i
noticed these error messages in
my mail.log:

dovecot: auth: Error: BUG: Authentication client gave a PID 7542 of
existing connection

and also these messages from postfix:

SASL LOGIN authentication failed: Connection lost to authentication server

I get the dovecot error message about 3000 times a day and postfix
message about 270 times.
Please see my attached mail.log for a detailed trace.

Thank you for your help :)

Alex