[Dovecot] Dovecot / IMAP / New Mails are not shown unless you open the folder in Outlook

stonegate stonegate at stonegate.homeip.net
Wed Mar 28 01:24:59 EEST 2012

Hi,

i use dovecot 2.1.3 on a gentoo system.

Before i installed my new imap server box, everything worked. Now with
Dovecot it does not.

Problem: When i receive a new email, it does not appear in my Outlook unless
i have the IMAP Inbox Folder open (highlighted selection).

Sometimes i have new mail in my inbox for over 15 Minutes and i dont realize
it unless i click on the inbox folder.

Before that problem occured on my old system ( i think it was dovecot as
well ) the inbox folder refreshed automatically and i instantly knew when i
had new emails. It was kind of like with my exchange account.

Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong ? Since i did not re-install
outlook or something it cannot be a client thing since no settings changed
on the client side.

Maybe i have to do something with dovecots config file? I think it should
keep the connection to the server open or something. I´d appreciate any kind
of help.

Thanks alot
Stoney

Dovecot is capable of the following things:

telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.

Thats my dovecot.conf:

# 2.1.3: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 x86_64 Gentoo Base System release 2.0.3
auth_mechanisms = plain login
listen = *
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
#passdb {
#  args = *
#  driver = pam
#}
#passdb {
#  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
#  driver = sql
#}
passdb {
  driver = shadow
}
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  user = root
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/dovecot/servercert.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/dovecot/serverkey.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
#userdb {