[Dovecot] IMAP STARTTLS Problem

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Sat May 5 22:41:12 EEST 2012

Hi,

STARTTTLS refers to a client connecting on the normal. plaintext IMAP
port, 143, and then issuing a STARTTLS command, starting a TLS session.
I am able to connect from my computer to your IMAP server using STARTTLS
using this command:
openssl s_client -starttls imap -connect 78.46.216.126:143

Your server seems to not be listening on ports 993 and 995 for imaps and
pop3s, respectively, where a TLS session is started immediately when the
connection is initiated.

If you are using dovecot 2, you need to have something like the
following in your config

service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     #port = 143
   }
   inet_listener imaps {
     #port = 993
     #ssl = yes
   }
}

service pop3-login {
   inet_listener pop3 {
     #port = 110
   }
   inet_listener pop3s {
     #port = 995
     #ssl = yes
   }
}

(The commented out lines represent the defaults, you uncomment them only
if you want to change them)

For dovecot 1.2, you need  a line like this:
protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s