[Dovecot] Shared namespace

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon May 7 23:03:49 EEST 2012

On 5/7/2012 12:24 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 7.5.2012, at 22.13, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

>>> Try talking IMAP protocol manually:
>>>
>>> a login user pass
>>> b list "" *
>>> c lsub "" *
>>>
>>> Are you only talking about shared INBOXes or also other shared mailboxes? mail_shared_explicit_inbox=yes is the default and the same behavior as in previous versions. I don't think that change should be breaking anything.. Changing it to "no" could break your INBOX subscriptions, but other mailboxes should be visible.
>>>
>> Ok - that gives us a clue.  With "yes", the output from list&  lsub is basically the same.  With "no" - I see a truncated list (missing mailboxes), but lsub still shows them all.
> By missing mailboxes I guess you mean the INBOXes aren't anymore in the LIST output, which is exactly what the setting is supposed to do?

Not exactly.  Using the old style, I'd see something like:

shared\
   user1\
     inbox
   user2\
     inbox
   user3\
     inbox
   user4\
     inbox

When it breaks, for whatever reason (whether it's the new setting or
something I do), I get:

shared\
   user2\
   user4\

So user1 & user3 are missing entirely.  If it "breaks" using the old
style, then I would see user 2 & 4 inboxes - but not user 1 & 3.  I also
have other folders shared from each user.

The breakage is that for some reason certain users' mailboxes are simply
invisible.  As I said, using list vs lsub (and I don't know how those
commands are used by clients), lsub will show mailboxes where list doesn't.

--
Daniel