[Dovecot] dovecot smtp authentication with sendmail

Thierry de Montaudry thierry at odry.net
Tue May 8 16:29:01 EEST 2012

On 8 May 2012, at 14:34, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 10:04:02PM -0400, jeff donovan wrote:
>> On May 7, 2012, at 9:11 PM, Hadi Salem wrote:
>>> It’s possible to use sasl dovecot smtp authentication with
>>> sendmail ?
>>
>> yes via postfix.
>
> Which is to say: no. Sendmail MTA has not implemented Dovecot SASL.
> Postfix's sendmail(1) binary receives mail via stdin, and does not
> authenticate.
> --
>  http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting
>  Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:

Hi,

I do have a system that uses sendmail and SMTP authentication, which is done through the saslauthd daemon (comes as cyrus-sasl-* RPMs in RedHat/CentOS). The sasl daemon uses a tcpip imap connection to another machine which runs dovecot 2.1.5 (was working previously with 1.2).
The options to set in sendmail.mc (you might want different mechanisms):

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')

and then configure saslauthd to connect to your imap server.

Thierry