[Dovecot] index IO patterns

Javier Miguel Rodríguez javierdemiguel at us.es
Fri May 11 09:48:05 EEST 2012

Indexes are very random, mostly read, some writes if using
dovecot-lda (ej: dbox). The average size is rather small, maybe 5 KB in
our setup. Bandwith is rather low, 20-30 MB/sec

We are using HP
LeftHand for our replicated storage needs.

Regards

Javier

El
11/05/2012 08:41, Cor Bosman escribió:

> Hey all, we're in the process
of checking out alternatives to our index storage. We're currently
storing indexes on a NetApp Metrocluster which works fine, but is very
expensive. We're planning a few different setups and doing some actual
performance tests on them.

> Does anyone know some of the IO
patterns of the indexes? For instance:

> - mostly random reads or
linear reads/writes?
> - average size of reads and writes?
> - how many
read/writes on average for a specific mailbox size?

> Anyone do any
measurements of this kind?

> Alternatively, does anyone have any
experience with other redundant storage options? Im thinking things like
MooseFS, DRBD, etc?