[Dovecot] Can we know when a user read our email?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue May 15 03:54:59 EEST 2012

On 5/14/2012 7:18 PM, Beto Moreno wrote:

> This feature I'm speaking is users from the same domain not externals domains.
>
> Maybe is a Exchange feature I don't know because I have seen the email
> client but just the client side and don't have any contact with the IT
> side.

I've only seen this feature in MS Exchange.  It may also exist in Notes
and GroupWise.  These are the primary 3 corporate (i.e. PAID) groupware
platforms.  As they serve the office drone masses they apparently need
such a feature.  Consider this scenario:

Guys at the water cooler play a sick joke telling a gullible fellow
drone that he's been fired.  Drone believes it, emails an inflammatory
letter of resignation to his boss before packing his things.  Just after
he hits send the guys tell him it was a joke...

This "unsend" feature was created to protect idiots from themselves,
nothing more.  Which is why the IETF draft went nowhere.

You can only "fix" some types of human stupidity with software.  This is
not one of them.

--
Stan