[Dovecot] Migration between namespaces breaks outlook on mac's

Mark Zealey mark.zealey at webfusion.com
Thu May 17 15:59:13 EEST 2012

Hi there,

We're running dovecot 1.1 on one set of servers with a courier-imap-like
namespace configuration:

namespace private {
     separator = .
     prefix = INBOX.
     inbox = yes
}

We're now migrating customers onto a dovecot-2 platform, switching from
Maildir to sdbox (using dsync mirror) & changing the namespace at the
same time. New namespace configuration looks like (as taken from
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces)

# This is for courier-imap namespace compatability
namespace {
     type = private
     separator = /
     prefix =
     inbox = yes
}

namespace {
     type = private
     prefix = INBOX.
     separator = .
     inbox = no
     hidden = yes
     list = no
     alias_for =
}

For 99% of clients this works fine eg thunderbird on first login after
migration notices the folder structure has changed & automagically
redownloads folders & emails. However I have noticed some really strange
messages in the logs which seems to be related to customers running
outlook on macos. When they login after migration they are generating
commands like:

dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1
dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1 1
dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
dovecot: imap(xxxx): Mailbox created: INBOX 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

this goes on a long time and we've not yet found a solution other than
delete the imap config on their outlook and reconfigure. Does anyone
have any idea why this might be happening, or if there is a way we can
somehow have old namespaces for old customers, new namespaces for new
customers (we are using sql login code so should be possible to do
something like this in theory I think?)

Thanks,

Mark