[Dovecot] BEWARE: This list is being harvested for leads

Bill Cole dovecot-20120517 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu May 17 18:42:13 EEST 2012

On 17 May 2012, at 10:56, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2012-05-17 10:20 AM, dovecot-20120517 at billmail.scconsult.com wrote:
>> On 17 May 2012, at 9:46, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>> Tim is working closely with Timo, and I'm sure got Timo's permission
>>> to send that email to list subscribers.
>
>> I subscribed to the Dovecot Users mailing list, not "Whatever spam
>> Timo thinks is justifiable."
>
> I'm about ready to add you to my PLONK file Bill.

Not necessary in regards to this list, as I'm moments away from doing
that for you.

> That is ridiculous... if a formal announcement about a commercial
> support company that has Timo's blessing isn't pertinent to
> participants on the dovecot support list, then what is?

Such an announcement was made months ago, to the list. I agree that is a
reasonable use of the list. That announcement was not a direct message
to a filter-exempted list-specific address. It also wasn't composed in
broken MS-specific almost-HTML, so it was short and easily skimmed past.

> Just admit you made a silly mistake and move on...

I don't believe it was silly, but I certainly made a mistake in that I
had not anticipated how Timo views this mailing list.

If you wish to engage in a public debate over the precise definition of
"spam" then I must decline. I burnt out on that sport some years ago
after years of repetitive and largely fruitless effort.