[Dovecot] BEWARE: This list is being harvested for leads

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri May 18 09:35:35 EEST 2012

Am 17.05.2012 16:20, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> On 17.5.2012, at 16.46, Charles Marcus wrote:
>
>> On 2012-05-17 9:38 AM, Bill Cole <dovecot-20110531 at billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
>>> A spammer claiming to be '"Tim Saarela" <tim.saarela at dovecot.fi>' is
>>> sending out a pitch for "Enterprise Level Support" for Dovecot. The
>>> address of mine which he hit is only ever used for this mailing list, so
>>> it is clear that whatever the mechanism, this list is being harvested
>>> for commercial leads.
>>
>> Chill, Bill...
>>
>> Tim is working closely with Timo, and I'm sure got Timo's permission to send that email to list subscribers. I'm already in discussions with Tim for some support for my main client's migration...
>

> I was surprised that directly contacting people worked at all, but since it has I thought I'd allow it and hope it wouldn't piss off too many people.. There won't be more than that one mail, which you're free to just ignore.
>
> If we get enough funding we can hire more people to work on Dovecot (and related projects), and that would be good for everyone.

Hi Timo ,
writing gnu software and offering paid support to it ,is a wide spreaded,
nothing special about it.

I did and would ever pay you in support/consult big setups, i agree
hire more people will make dovecot better.

But some people are more sensible about gnu status of software and
recieve business mail then others.

So you got in a communication trap, but everyone who benefit from your
hard  work on dovecot, in the last years, should excuse unwanted disturb.

Anyway you may use other distribution/notification ways in the future
keeping clearly splitted  whats gnu and whats business.

However in real world there are always people which cant make lucky in
whatever you do *g

Finally many thanks to you for coding great software !

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria