[Dovecot] High level of pop3 popping causing server to become unresponsive

Root Kev root.kev at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:21:39 EEST 2012

During the last time that the load went up, it became unable to login / su
to root for the entire period that dovecot was running, we had to kill
dovecot and go back to Popa3d until the mailq was cleared up.  We are
running CentOS 5.6 server.  Based on TOP running at the time the CPU usage
was running under 10%.  Once Dovecot was killed, we were then able to log
in /su again.

We were under the impression that checking to shadow directly should be the
fastest and least amount of overhead, is any of the other ways to connect
have less load on authentication to PAM?

Thanks,

Kevin