[Dovecot] wrong search results with fts_solr

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 19 22:36:11 EEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 16:39 -0400, Joe Beaubien wrote:
> I am getting some very weird search results with fts_solr.
>
> 1) when I do a search for "testin" I get 0 results.
> 2) when I do a search for "testing" i get 44 results.
>
> The problem is that I am expecting only 1 result.

Solr uses "stemming" for indexing/searching words. After that it
searches those stemmed words, it doesn't do prefix searching by default.
So:

1) You don't have any mails with a word "testin" in it.

2) "testing" probably gets stemmed to "test", and you get a combined
result of "test", "testing", "tests" and maybe some other words.