[Dovecot] Dovecot usage values differ from actual disk usage

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat May 19 22:44:21 EEST 2012

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> This behavior is intentional.
> >
> > Move Email two times between Trash and INBOX (4 moves in total).
> > There is still only one physical message, just moved it around a bit.
>
> You're not moving a message, you're copying and setting \deleted flag
> for the original message. Until client issues EXPUNGE command, the
> messages exist.

OK.

> The message still has 5 visible instances, even though in mdbox they
> don't use up any more disk space than 1. It would be nice for quota
> plugin to realize this, but it's a big and probably difficult change.
> I've thought about it once in a while though.

Maybe I should have a deeper look into how to reproduce this.
Originally, I did an imap-sync[1] from dbmail to dovecot through the
director IMAP port. After some days of mailbox usage in dovecot the
quota values were obviously incorrect from the administrators view,
but I'm not sure whether the user kept his mailbox and IMAP connection
open the whole week. I will try to find this out.

Regards
Daniel

[1] http://imapsync.lamiral.info/