[Dovecot] dovecot fts_lucene indexes not being updated

Joe Beaubien joe.beaubien at gmail.com
Sun May 20 00:12:51 EEST 2012

Answers inline.

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 19.5.2012, at 23.40, Joe Beaubien wrote:
>
> > Ok, I enabled rawlog and noticed the code was only sending "SEARCH
> FROM". I
> > modified it to also send a "SEARCH TEXT" and it triggered the fts index
> > update.
> >
> > However, in my use case, that's not the search that needs to be done. The
> > search needed is "SEARCH FROM". It's not practical (or efficient I
> imagine)
> > to send a "SEARCH TEXT" for every folder before sending a "SEARCH FROM",
> > just to be sure the indexes are up-to-date.
>
> SEARCH FROM doesn't update the Lucene index, because it can usually be
> looked up quite fast also from dovecot.index.cache file. Of course if
> you're not delivering mails via dovecot-lda/lmtp that doesn't get updated.
>
> > If i could just do an update of the entire account (all folders) right
> > after I download new emails, that would be the least painful (I think). I
> > thought "fts_index_timeout" or "doveadm fts rescan -u my_user" would help
> > me achieve this, but those 2 options never seem to trigger an update on
> the
> > fts indexes. Any idea if I did something wrong there?
>
> You can run "doveadm index -u user" to get new mails indexed.

Awesome, this does seem to work.

2 last questions:

- Does it update both indexes (dovecot and fts) or only
dovecot.index.cache? I ask because I didn't see any index messages in log
files.

- Is there a way to update the index of the entire email account instead of
doing it for each folder (mailbox)?

Thanks alot for your awesome support.