[Dovecot] Maildir filename has wrong S value

Wouter de Geus benv-dovecot.org at junerules.com
Sun May 20 00:50:37 EEST 2012

* Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> [2012-05-19 22:17:01 +0300]:

> > My question here is: Why does dovecot abort? Isn't the issue fixed after the rename?
>
> That file was fixed, but you probably have tons of them and it aborts
> after each one. With IMAP protocol there's really no other good way to
> do this. I guess if it notices one file being wrong it could just decide
> to go into error recovery check and read through all of the maildir
> files, but that's annoying extra piece of code for something that
> shouldn't happen anyway..

Ah, good point on the protocol. However, as far as I'm concerned this automatic
recovery would be a good thing (under the "self healing" statement from the dovecot site?)
Just a suggestion though, I understand that it's a lot of work for this specific issue.

> You should be able to manually fix them by reading them via doveadm,
> something like:
>
> doveadm fetch -u benv text all > /dev/null

Thanks for that one, worked great for my maildir. (and saved me from writing a shell script) :)

> Old Dovecot versions didn't notice the problem. You can make v2.1 also
> just ignore the wrong sizes with maildir_broken_filename_sizes=yes.

Ah, that explains.

Well, thanks for the support :)

Regards,

Wouter.