[Dovecot] dovecot fts_lucene indexes not being updated

Joe Beaubien joe.beaubien at gmail.com
Sun May 20 05:15:04 EEST 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 20.5.2012, at 0.12, Joe Beaubien wrote:
>
> >> You can run "doveadm index -u user" to get new mails indexed.
> >
> > Awesome, this does seem to work.
> >
> > 2 last questions:
> >
> > - Does it update both indexes (dovecot and fts) or only
> > dovecot.index.cache? I ask because I didn't see any index messages in log
> > files.
>
> It should update both. If it doesn't then there's some kind of a
> configuration problem.

How can I verify this? When I run "sudo ./doveadm -v index -u form INBOX2",
I see nothing in the normal log files. I do see the expected output on
stdout:

doveadm(form): Info: INBOX2: Caching mails seq=41808..41822
15/15
joe at XXXXXX:/opt/dovecot/bin$

However, I see nothing in the normal logs. I normally see a message similar
to "Indexed 500 new messages" when I force an fts update but I get nothing
in this case.

My config for plugins is pretty simple:

10-mail.conf:
mail_plugins = zlib fts fts_lucene

90-plugin.conf:
plugin {
  zlib_save_level = 6 # 1..9
  zlib_save = gz # or bz2
  fts = lucene
  fts_lucene = whitespace_chars="@.-_()[]{}<>/\\+"
}

Is it normal to not get output in the normal log files in this case, or did
i miss something?

> > - Is there a way to update the index of the entire email account instead
> of
> > doing it for each folder (mailbox)?
>
> You should be able to use '*' as the mailbox name.

I think there is an issue with the '*' wildcard. It doesn't seem to do
anything. It returns instantly, doesn't give any message or error, even in
verbose mode. however, when I specify a folder, it works as expected:

joe at XXXX:/opt/dovecot/bin$ sudo ./doveadm -v index -u form *
joe at XXXX:/opt/dovecot/bin$ sudo ./doveadm -v index -u form form_positif
doveadm(form): Info: form_positif: Caching mails seq=130044..130095
52/52
joe at XXXX:/opt/dovecot/bin$

Your help is greatly appreciated.

-Joe