[Dovecot] per-mailbox message limits

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 29 18:20:01 EEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 14:18 +0100, Alan Brown wrote:
> This is something Timo hacked up for me a few years ago and I realised
> should be on the list in case anyone else wants them.
>
> The following patches will limit maildir folders to 4000 messages on
> Dovecot 2.0.* and 2.1.*
>
> The Specfile patch is against the Cityfan Redhat EL5 SRPM but is likely
> to work on most build platforms
>
> Changing the message limit requires a recompile. It's brutal and ugly
> but it prevents users overloading FSes that can't cope with huge numbers
> of files (EG: GFS2)

Perhaps you should try mdbox some day?

Another related thing someone asked about was about making kind of an
"alt storage" to Maildir by keeping new mails in new/ and older mails in
cur/. So that if the Maildir has like 1M messages Dovecot would only
very rarely need to scan/modify cur/ because most of the changes would
happen in new/.