[Dovecot] interesting stats pattern

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at frittentheke.de
Tue May 29 22:40:30 EEST 2012

On 29.05.2012 12:23, Cor Bosman wrote:
> At first I thought maybe one of our 35 imap servers was having issues sending data, but all individual servers show this patters. Here is a bunch of individual servers:
> http://grab.by/dReC
> Anyone have any idea what could cause such a pattern? Maybe dovecot does some cleaning up of idle sessions at specific intervals? Or maybe our loadbalancers do, or the imapdirectors.

A shot in the dark ...

Maybe some kind of TCP or session timeout on a packet filtering device
or loadbalancer? Maybe that time is shorter than the IMAP idle timeout.
So TCP connections are "killed". Such a TCP stateful device may not send
any active RST packets to the client. This way it's up to the client to
recognize a broken TCP connection. This may then only occur when the
client believes it's time to renew the IMAP idle and then finds the TCP
connection gone.

1) Check the config/logs of any >= layer 4 devices for "session
teardown" or "session timeout"

2) Check the dovecot logs and sort certain patterns by the minute. Maybe
you find dovecot logging more "client timeout" or "connection reset by
peer" at certain minutes than others. Maybe also group by other parts of
the log entries such as usernames to find any patterns.

3) Connect to the imap server yourself and sniff an IMAP IDLE session
with wireshark. Make sure you use the same path as the users ou there
and not bypass the loadbalancer or whatever.

Regards

Christian