[Dovecot] Enforcing Dovecot Quotas

tcsmith1978 tcsmith1978 at googlemail.com
Tue May 8 11:59:38 EEST 2012

Hello,

I have been looking at enforcing quotas for users of my mail system (postfix
and Dovecot v1.2). Have tried to follow a few tuts on the web but its not
having the desired effect. Essentially I can still send and receive mail on
an account that I believe has had its quota exceeded.

In my main.cf, I have:

userdb sql {
         args = /etc/dovecot/mysql/dovecot-mysql.conf
}
passdb sql {
         args = /etc/dovecot/mysql/dovecot-mysql.conf
}

and...

protocol lda {
        mail_plugins = quota
}

protocol imap {
        mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
}

plugin {
        quota_exceeded_message = You have exceeded the maximum quota for
your mailbox
}

the dovecot sql (mysql) file has the following query for pulling out user
ids and quotas etc:

user_query = SELECT maildir, mymailuser as uid, mymailgroup as
gid,concat('maildir:storage=',quota) as quota FROM virtual_mailbox WHERE
username = '%u'

I have set one of my users to have a quota of 1 (so one byte I believe) so
it should be over the limit pretty much immediately.

Looking at the logs I can see that the system is picking up on the quota
limit but doesn't seem to enforce it.

Apr 27 10:29:02 deliver(test at testdomain.com): Info: auth input:
quota=maildir:storage=1
Apr 27 10:29:02 deliver(test at testdomain.com): Info: Quota root: