[Dovecot] Authentication with AD and quick mbox question

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:31:22 EEST 2012

Hi,

I'm attempting to implement Dovecot 2.1.3 built on a FreeBSD 8.2 64
bit system from ports.

I had the servicve up and running on a local vbox demo which did a
very simple Maildir format sytem which was situated in ~/Maildir.

I would now like to expand the system and tie it to a Windows domain.
What is the best way to go about doing this?

Can Dovecot be directly tied in or do I need to tie the server in to the domain?

This is my current dovecot.conf file - which of course I will tweak
but as I am currently in the stage of building this is what I have so
far:

protocols = imap

# It's nice to have separate log files for Dovecot. You could do this
# by changing syslog configuration also, but this is easier.
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log

# Disable SSL for now.
ssl = no
disable_plaintext_auth = no

# We're using Maildir format
#mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_location = mbox:/mail:INBOX=/mail/%u

# If you're using POP3, you'll need this:
#pop3_uidl_format = %g

# Authentication configuration:
auth_verbose = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain
passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/passwd
}
userdb {
#  driver = static
#  args = uid=root gid=root home=/root/
  driver = static
  args = uid=500 gid=500 home=/ZPOOL_1/%u
}

Is this correct to use mbox++ format and store under /mail/%u ??

Can anybody give me some advice?

Regards,

Kaya