[Dovecot] Active Directory : searches in root tree

nicolasfo nicolas at franceoxygene.fr
Mon May 21 11:48:50 EEST 2012

Hello everyone !

I'm trying to make a mail server with dovecot and postfix. Users will
authenticate with Active Directory server.

I've got an problem with Dovecot. To make the mail server, I'm using
IredMail, and I used this tutorial :
http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php?title=Integration/Active.Directory.iRedMail
here

Here's my dovecot-ldap.conf :
hosts           	= dc.domain.lan:389
ldap_version    	= 3
auth_bind       	= yes
dn              	= vmail at domain.lan
dnpass          	= vmail_passwd
base            	= ou=some_ou,dc=domain,dc=lan
scope  	  	= subtree
deref           	= never
user_filter     	=
(&(userPrincipalName=%u)(objectClass=person)(!(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2)))
pass_filter     	=
(&(userPrincipalName=%u)(objectClass=person)(!(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2)))
user_attrs      	=
=home=/home/mail/%Ld/%Ln/Maildir/,=mail=maildir:/home/mail/%Ld/%Ln/Maildir/
pass_attrs      	= userPassword=password
default_pass_scheme 	= CRYPT

With this configuration file, it works. BUT :
To allow Dovecot to find users in my AD database, I must specify an OU in
"base". If I only set "dc=domain,dc=lan" the research doesn't work. It seems
that Dovecot is not capable to make a research without an OU specified in
base.
Am I wrong ?

The root research works fine with postfix, samba+winbind, and I've an
enterprise sized hardware firewall, and it works fine too.

I'll be surprised if you tell me that Dovecot can't make a research without
OU... That's why I'm posting here..

I've already post about this problem on the Iredmail forum,
http://www.iredmail.org/forum/post15184.html#p15184 here , but no solution
were found. You're my last hope :)

Thanks a lot for replies

Nicolas