[Dovecot] "starting" dovecot

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Fri Nov 2 09:52:45 EET 2012

on Thu Nov 01 2012, Dave Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:

> My system never issues the "dovecot start" command.  I do, however, run
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap on port 9xxx.  I talk to the server
> through port 9xxx and through the preauth tunnel.  Is this arrangement
> OK?  Are there some things that will only work if "dovecot" is invoked?

In particular, I'm curious because of messages like the one below that I
got from "doveadm search":

  doveadm(dave): Error: net_connect_unix(/usr/local/var/run/dovecot/indexer) failed: No such file or directory

Is the lack of this (or any other) socket attributable to not having
started dovecot itself?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training