[Dovecot] Quota

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 5 00:37:58 EET 2012

On 4.11.2012, at 22.34, Christian Rößner wrote:

> is it possible to ask Dovecot for a users quota by talking to the Dovecot server over TCP? I know about doveadm quota -u <user>, but I would like to know, if I can query for that over a network connection (on the Postfix ML they suggested writing a policy service that checks quota. Postfix is not always on the same server as Dovecot is).
>
> Does the LMTP protocol give that information somehow? I am not so familiar with LMTP. Or some Unix-Socket to query that could also be configured as inet_listener?

You could connect to doveadm-server socket and basically ask the "doveadm quota" command via it. There's not much documentation about it though. But I'm sure I've mentioned details a couple of times in this mailing list..

I've also had some plans to make a somewhat easier socket for asking this. Maybe using doveadm-server process, or maybe a whole new quota-query binary that can talk multiple protocols.. It would be pretty easy to do, mainly I just haven't been sure what would be the cleanest way to implement this.