[Dovecot] "starting" dovecot

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Mon Nov 5 12:15:35 EET 2012

on Sun Nov 04 2012, Daniel Parthey <daniel.parthey-AT-informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> My system never issues the "dovecot start" command.  I do, however, run
>> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap on port 9xxx.  I talk to the server
>> through port 9xxx and through the preauth tunnel.  Is this arrangement
>> OK?
>
> No, most probably not. You try to investigate why dovecot does not run:
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/WhyDoesItNotWork

I know why it doesn't run: it doesn't run because I haven't done
anything to make it run (e.g. no init script launches it).  I've been
running its "imap" executable from an init script (or launchd, the
equivalent on my Mac), and most things seem to work just fine.

> Show your "doveconf -n" output and dovecot logfile content please.

It's on a different machine than the one I'm using.  I could post it
later if you still think it's a good idea.

>> Are there some things that will only work if "dovecot" is invoked?
>
> The dovecot main process spawns all the services and sockets,
> you should invoke service binaries directly only for debugging purposes.

OK, I think this is the definitive answer I was looking for.  Thanks
very much!

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training