[Dovecot] Issues with VANISHED CHANGEDSINCE

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 5 20:59:51 EET 2012

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

>>> ..
>>>
>>> I don't think they become incorrect, just that there are more of
>>> them than really necessary? Yes, there's a tipping point. It's
>>> when the modseq no longer exists in the dovecot.index.log* files,
>>> which get rotated once in a while. This shouldn't happen very often.
>>
>> FYI, I see this about once every two weeks, sometimes more
>> frequently. Is there anything we can do to reduce the chance of
>> this happening?
>
> How do you see it? Does it break something? Why?
>
> You can change it only by increasing the dovecot.index.log sizes,
> which requires changing the code.

It breaks ActiveSync synchronization of mailboxes. When this happens,
the sync state of the mailbox needs to be reset, which causes the
entire mailbox to be resynchronized to the mobile device. This can
lead to a not-insignificant amount of wasted bandwidth and battery
power for the device. There have been times when this has happened
multiple times in a single day.

Not resetting the state leads to multiple issues on the device due to
sending it thousands of deletion commands for messages it knows
nothing about.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)