[Dovecot] v2.1 memory usage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 6 01:22:37 EET 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-05 at 23:40 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Anyway, looks like Dovecot can't link OpenSSL to imap/pop3 processes
> without wasting a ton of memory. In v2.2 I already moved imapc/pop3c
> backend code to plugins to avoid this. Looks like similar ugliness is
> needed for other features/backends also that may end up using SSL code.
> (We were wondering with Stephan what to do about his new HTTP library
> code that added support for SSL. It would be nice to keep it in the core
> libdovecot.so, but not if it links with SSL. So looks like we'll need
> some kind of a http-ssl plugin that is loaded only when needed.)

Implemented it a bit easier way that also gets rid of imapc/pop3c
plugins and simplifies other things: lib-ssl-iostream now loads OpenSSL
dynamically: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/68d21f872fd7

This also provides a nice abstraction to OpenSSL, making it again
possible to implement other backends like GnuTLS or NSS. (Except login
process code doesn't use lib-ssl-iostream yet.)