[Dovecot] Android ICS stock client and IMAP Capability issue.

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Tue Nov 6 10:47:15 EET 2012

Am 06.11.2012 07:08, schrieb Ben Morrow:
> At  6AM +0100 on  6/11/12 you (Massimiliano Cianelli) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  My setup:
>> Dovecot 2 latest, installed to replace courrier IMAP, and off course
>> configured with the dot separator and all folder under INBOX.*.
>>
>> The problem:
>> My phone was driving me mad during the test, due that it will only
>> recognize Inbox.
>>
>> How found the solution:
>> I've started sniffing IMAP traffic on my server and ended up with one
>> difference:
>> On courier it ask for namespace, on dovecot it won't.
>>
>>  I gives a better look, and noticed that courier show namespace
>>  capability on prelogin banner, adding it too solved the problem.
>>
>> Reason:
>> Android ICS stock client seems do not honor the capability gived after
>> the login.
>
> See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.0?highlight=%28capability%29 ;
> you need to set imap_capability and/or get your client fixed.
>
> Ben

Hi, first ,what is the exact meaning of

"Android ICS stock client"

do you mean default included email client in standard android in imap
mode, when yes, which version of Android , i like to test my own
however is there changelog/code etc at google for this behave?

conf example

# Override the IMAP CAPABILITY response. If the value begins with '+',
  # add the given capabilities on top of the defaults (e.g. +XFOO XBAR).
  #imap_capability =

setting stuff here might be complex , or lead to trouble with other
clients, if setting this might fix problems ,with clients it should be
advised in the wiki/example-conf and/or Timo

or the other way ,for massive used clients there should be
a seperate workaround section in the conf

But fixing behave clients should be prime option anyway

Meanwhile use K9mail in Android as best free option in imap mode servers

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG