[Dovecot] Solr 4.0 - lucene - FTS

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 7 17:14:18 EET 2012

On 7.11.2012, at 15.01, Charles Marcus wrote:

> As one who is interested in implementing FTS sometime in the future, I'm curious about what is in store as far as improvements go...
>
> Specifically, any plans for implementing immediate/automatic index updates at delivery time? The lack of automatically updated indexes is one downside for its implementation...

Nothing really prevents from adding that very easily .. I guess it would need a new setting, which is always the most annoying part of small changes. :) I think it would have to have a setting equivalent to doveadm index -n parameter, which allows indexing most users, except those who pretty much never read their emails. So with doveadm index -n 1000 you could set that if the mailbox's \Recent count is over 1000, don't index the mailbox. So .. hmm. I guess two settings would be cleaner:

plugin {
  fts_autoindex = yes
  fts_autoindex_max_recent = 1000
}

Or maybe there's a better name than "autoindex" for this feature. SEARCH always autoindexes anyway.

> Also, does the release of Solr 4.0 mean anything for the lucene library used by dovecot?

No, fts-lucene and fts-solr are separate backends. But I do have some small plans to add a few more features to fts-solr.