[Dovecot] "starting" dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 7 17:50:19 EET 2012

On 2.11.2012, at 9.52, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> on Thu Nov 01 2012, Dave Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:
>
>> My system never issues the "dovecot start" command.  I do, however, run
>> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap on port 9xxx.  I talk to the server
>> through port 9xxx and through the preauth tunnel.  Is this arrangement
>> OK?  Are there some things that will only work if "dovecot" is invoked?
>
> In particular, I'm curious because of messages like the one below that I
> got from "doveadm search":
>
>  doveadm(dave): Error: net_connect_unix(/usr/local/var/run/dovecot/indexer) failed: No such file or directory
>
> Is the lack of this (or any other) socket attributable to not having
> started dovecot itself?

Yes, fts indexing is always done via the indexer process currently. You need dovecot master process running for that. I don't think there are other such things currently.

You could patch fts code to not use indexer process, probably a one line change. Except when running that way if two processes try to update the Lucene at the same time you'll get some errors.